Question about Saga's - The Pleasure & The Pain

Ask Michael about Clear or anything relevent.

Question about Saga's - The Pleasure & The Pain

Postby Wilkie » January 21st, 2010, 1:05 pm

Hi Michael,
Probably a question you've answered before, but do you have any background on why TPATP was such a departure from other Saga albums? To my (untrained) ears, it's almost industrial in it's sound, and certainly touches on some different subject matter from other Saga songs.
I seem to be in a minority of actually liking it alot, but I guess it's like cricket and marmite; you either love it or hate it!!
Wilkie

Postby Baron Von Cruzer » January 27th, 2010, 5:52 pm

It was an intentional response to what was trendy at the time, which was Grunge.
Baron Von Cruzer

Postby Tillmann » January 28th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Maybe the production time (a couple of weeks?) had its influence...? The 90s wasnt a good decade for rock and metal bands, remember Metallicas Load stuff, or Maidens records without Dickinson... 90s were full of grunge, alternative, eurodance and hip hop...

But I like P&P, but I need a special mood for this album ^^
*** http://www.lastfm.de/user/suhl ***

[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MgYmO-wWiII/hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=168&h=94&stc=true&jpg444=true&jpgq=90&sp=68&sigh=-AWTMpmN85Af3iE1_BrnEWN9FIM[/img]
Tillmann

Postby Baron Von Cruzer » January 28th, 2010, 5:13 pm

The Pleasure And The Pain was Saga's Grunge album. The unpopularity of this album is what led to them going back to the approach of the earlier albums, specially the World's Apart/Heads Or Tales period.

There's a chapter on this period in the authorized Saga biography by Edwin Amerlaan.
Baron Von Cruzer

Postby Michael Sadler » October 10th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Baron Von Cruzer wrote:The Pleasure And The Pain was Saga's Grunge album. The unpopularity of this album is what led to them going back to the approach of the earlier albums, specially the World's Apart/Heads Or Tales period.

There's a chapter on this period in the authorized Saga biography by Edwin Amerlaan.

Well said Baron! Overall I would have to say that's a fairly accurate description although, I wouldn't say that the less than enthusiastic response to the album was the sole reason that we returned our focus to where it should have been. As I remember it, this album was not so much our answer to grunge as much as a reaction to the genre. Once out of our collective systems, we got back to business!

Michael
Michael Sadler

Postby Wilkie » October 11th, 2010, 4:56 am

Michael Sadler wrote:
Baron Von Cruzer wrote:The Pleasure And The Pain was Saga's Grunge album. The unpopularity of this album is what led to them going back to the approach of the earlier albums, specially the World's Apart/Heads Or Tales period.

Well said Baron! Overall I would have to say that's a fairly accurate description although, I wouldn't say that the less than enthusiastic response to the album was the sole reason that we returned our focus to where it should have been. As I remember it, this album was not so much our answer to grunge as much as a reaction to the genre. Once out of our collective systems, we got back to business!

Michael

Thanks for the insight Michael! :D
Wilkie

Return to Questions, Questions, Questions...